Australian National University (ANU) International Student Visa Requirements

Australian National University (ANU) International Student Visa Requirements

Australian National University (ANU) International Student Visa

Here on this Educative Page, We gladly Inform you about Australian National University (ANU) International Student Visa, ANU eCoE, Australian National University (ANU) International Student Visa Requirements, and How to Apply for Australian National University (ANU) as an International Student.

Australian National University (ANU) International Student Visa

As an ANU student, you must ensure you hold a current visa which entitles you to study for the duration of your program. Typically this is a subclass 500 student visa.

You should apply for a student visa as soon as you receive your electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE) (see further details below).

All visas are subject to conditions and you must ensure that you comply with the conditions of your visa at all times.

More information on student visa options and conditions can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Australian National University (ANU) School fee exemption for dependents of International HDR students

The ACT Government have announced they will be providing a school fee exemption for the dependents of international Higher Degree Research (HDR) students enrolled in ACT public schools. For further information on eligibility, please visit the ACT Government website.

Australian National University (ANU) Electronic Confirmation Of Enrolment (ECOE)

An eCoE document is issued to all international students once you have accepted your offer to study at ANU.

This document confirms the duration of your program of study and is required to apply for a student visa.

Any changes to your program of study approved by ANU will require a new eCoE to be issued.

Australian National University (ANU) International Student Passport Duration

You are also required to have a valid passport for the duration of your stay in Australia. If your passport is due to expire while you are in Australia you should check how to renew it before you depart.

See also: Australian National University (ANU) Internationa Application

Australian National University (ANU) International Student Study load

You are expected to complete your course within the time specified in your electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE). This requires you to enroll at 100 percent study load each semester – i.e. 24 units.

Reducing your study load will extend the duration of your program of study, violating the conditions of your student visa.

You can only reduce your study load in limited, exceptional circumstances, and you will be required to substantiate your request with supporting documentation (e.g. medical/counseling certificates).

More information on requirements can be found on our Study load page.

Australian National University (ANU) International Student Academic progress

It is a condition of your student visa that you achieve satisfactory academic progress. ANU is required to report unsatisfactory academic progress to the Department of Home Affairs.

If you are identified as at risk of not making satisfactory academic progress, you will be asked to attend a progress meeting and agree measures to help you improve your progress.

More information on requirements can be found on our Expected academic performance page.

See Also: Australian National University Student Portal Login

Report Your Details

The University must always be able to contact you and have an accurate record of your visa and passport details.

Changes to your contact details should be notified to ANU within five working days. If your visa or passport details change ANU must be notified with 10 working days.

Information For International Student Visa Holders Studying In Australia

The ESOS Framework has been developed by the Australian Government to protect your rights as an international student in Australia and assure quality educational standards. The ESOS Act and related laws protect International students through:

  •  The Tuition Protection Service: A placement and refund service, and
  •  The National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (Explanatory Guide).

ANU and the programs that international student visa holders can study at ANU are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). For more information, the Providing Quality Education and Training and Protecting the Rights of International Students fact sheet provides an overview of what you should expect when you study in Australia as an international student.

Your Visa 

As a student studying on a student visa you must:

  • Complete your program within the timeframe of your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE);
  • Study at least one face-to-face course per study period;
  • Ensure that you do not study more than 33.3% of your program by distance or online;
  • Notify ANU of your Australian address within 7 days of arriving or changing your address. This is done through ISIS;
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Your visa is handled by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You can find out your visa conditions and entitlements online using VEVO.

Your ECoE

Your eCoE is produced by ANU and it is used to support your visa application. There are only limited situations in which ANU will allow you to extend your eCoE. The following links provide information on actions that may impact the duration of your eCoE:

  • Taking Program Leave from a research program or coursework program;
  • Reducing your study load as a Coursework Student;
  • Changing your intensity as a Research Student;
  • Applying to withdraw from your program and request a release letter as a Coursework Student or a Research Student;
  • Applying for a degree/program transfer as a Coursework Student;
  • Applying for a change of program as a Research Student.

To request an eCoE extension, please follow these instructions. Please note that you must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the full duration of your visa.

ANU Legislation, Policies, Procedures, and Services relating to International Student Visa Holders

As required under the National Code 2018, the following Legislation, Policies, Procedures, and processes apply to the management of ANU international student affairs:

  • Coursework Award Rule;
  • Research Award Rule;
  • Student Complaint Resolution policy and procedure
  • Appeals processes;
  • Academic Progress Rule and associated information on academic performance (Coursework Students);
  • Early intervention (Coursework Students): Student Academic Study Load and Progression policy and procedure;
  • Course Credit policy and procedure;
  • Student Critical Incident policy and procedure;
  • Request to change the offer of Admission to a different session – Postgraduate process and Undergraduate process;
  • Program leave process for Coursework Students and Research Students;
  • Student Refund Policy and Procedure.

ANU provides a range of student support services to assist you during your studies. This includes academic skills & learning, counseling, career information, disability services, security services and primary health services.


For more information don’t hesitate to Like Us on Facebook, Share and get the Australian National University (ANU) Latest update.

However, if you have any Queries regarding the Australian National University (ANU) International Student Visa Please kindly DROP A COMMENT below and we will respond to it ASAP.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here