General Auto Insurance, also known as The General, is an insurance company based in the United States that specializes in providing coverage to high-risk drivers. With its catchy commercials and easy-to-use online platform, The General has become a popular choice for drivers who may have difficulty obtaining coverage from other insurance companies. In this article, we will take a closer look at The General Auto Insurance and what makes it unique.
The General Auto Insurance was founded in 1963 as Permanent General Agency, and it has since grown to become one of the largest auto insurance companies in the United States. The company rebranded as The General in 2012 to better reflect its brand and mission. Today, The General is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee and is a subsidiary of American Family Insurance.
The General Auto Insurance specializes in providing coverage to high-risk drivers, which means that it can offer coverage to drivers who may have difficulty obtaining insurance from other companies. Some of the coverage options offered by The General Auto Insurance include:
- Liability coverage: This covers damages and injuries that you may cause to other drivers or pedestrians in an accident.
- Collision coverage: This covers damages to your own vehicle in the event of an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This covers damages to your vehicle from non-collision events such as theft, vandalism, or natural disasters.
- Personal injury protection: This covers medical expenses for you and your passengers in the event of an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
The General Auto Insurance is known for its unique features and services that cater specifically to high-risk drivers. Some of these features include:
- Instant online quotes: The General Auto Insurance’s online platform allows drivers to get a quote in minutes, without having to speak to an agent.
- Low down payments: The General Auto Insurance offers low down payment options for drivers who may not have a lot of money to put towards their insurance premium upfront.
- Non-owner insurance: The General Auto Insurance offers non-owner insurance coverage for drivers who do not own a vehicle but still need coverage.
- SR-22 filings: The General Auto Insurance can assist drivers who need an SR-22 filing, which is a certificate of financial responsibility required by some states for drivers who have been convicted of certain driving offenses.
While The General Auto Insurance has a reputation for providing coverage to high-risk drivers, its customer satisfaction ratings have been mixed. According to J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, The General Auto Insurance received a below-average rating for overall customer satisfaction. However, the company does have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and has received positive reviews from some customers.
The General® Auto Insurance Review
We rate The General Insurance® a 7.3 out of 10.0 for its solid car insurance coverage options for high-risk drivers. The score of “7.3” was aggregated according to our rating criteria — which evaluates providers on their costs, coverages, reputations, availability and customer experiences.
The General Insurance Rating
*Ratings are determined by our editorial review team. Learn more about our scoring methodology below.
Is The General Insurance Good?
High-risk drivers commonly turn to The General for car insurance coverage, but it’s not always the best choice on the market. In The General insurance reviews, motorists complain about the company’s costly premiums and the often poor communication between policyholders and company employees.
The General Car Insurance Pros and Cons
Below are some more specific pros and cons about The General car insurance:
The General Insurance Company Reviews
The General is a Nashville, Tenn.-based insurance agency that’s been offering coverage since 1963. It’s owned by PGC Holdings, a subsidiary of American Family Insurance. The General is best known for protecting high-risk drivers, who often get rejected by other car insurance providers.
While The General auto insurance is available in 47 states, drivers may be ineligible for coverage if they live in certain urban areas like Miami and New York City.
The General Customer Reviews
It’s tricky to determine exactly how drivers feel from The General insurance reviews, as their ratings and comments are all across the board. We’ll take a look at the company’s customer review scores in further detail below.
The General Insurance Reviews: BBB and Trustpilot
On the Better Business Bureau (BBB), The General Insurance holds a 4.6-star rating out of 5.0 from over 900 customers, as well as an A+ rating. Similarly on Trustpilot, the company has a 4.7-star average score out of 5.0.
You’ll find a significant number of The General insurance reviews that criticize the company’s claims process. While most drivers receive payouts in the end, some say they waited an excessive amount of time to receive compensation.
The General Insurance Reviews: NAIC
Data from the Company Complaint Index by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) paints an entirely different picture, with drivers logging 1.83 times more customer complaints against The General than the average for car insurance providers in 2021.
The General Insurance AM Best Rating
On the bright side, The General and its insurance underwriters have earned close to the best ratings for financial strength from AM Best. Below are the companies that cover claims for The General and their overall levels of financial health.
|The General Insurance Underwriter||AM Best Financial Strength Rating|
|Permanent General Assurance Corp.||A|
|Permanent General Assurance Corp. of Ohio||A|
|The General Automobile Insurance Co. Inc.||A|
American Family Insurance, the parent company of The General, also holds an A financial strength rating from AM Best.
The General Auto Insurance App Reviews
The General’s mobile app, drivers can receive auto insurance quotes, make payments or file car insurance claims. One of the top benefits mentioned in The General insurance reviews is the company’s online experience, and its app has a 4.7-star average score on the App Store and a 4.8-star rating on Google Play.
The General Insurance Coverage
Most drivers will find the auto insurance coverage they want through The General. That said, many car insurance companies offer far more extensive options for those who’d like added protection. Below are the main types of car insurance The General provides:
- Liability insurance
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
The General Auto Insurance Policy Options
Some of those who leave The General insurance reviews speak of the benefits that come from less common offerings, such as these types of optional coverage:
- Towing and labor benefits
- Roadside assistance
- Custom equipment coverage
- Rental reimbursement for covered repairs
While The General offers bodily injury and property damage liability coverage to safe drivers, the company mainly caters to risky motorists. It may be a suitable option if you don’t have good credit or an outstanding driving record — or, if you need an SR-22.
There’s no information online about usage-based insurance from The General, so it’s likely not the best provider if you’re seeking a similar program. The insurer doesn’t offer an impressive range of coverage, but few The General car insurance reviews mention that as a con.
The General Car Insurance Cost
You’ll rarely find cheap car insurance through The General, but it’s uncommon for any provider to offer low-cost coverage to high-risk drivers. While those with DUIs and recent at-fault accidents on their driving history may find relatively reasonable rates from The General, those with a clean driving record should consider other providers.
The General Car Insurance Quote
The General insurance reviews make clear that the following factors nearly always affect auto insurance quotes:
- Coverage limits: If you choose full coverage car insurance, expect to pay higher rates than if you’d chosen less protection.
- Deductible amount: Motorists who choose a high deductible may receive lower rates, though they’ll have to pay more out of pocket after an accident.
- Age, gender and marital status: In most states, men who are young or single will likely receive the highest car insurance premiums.
- Driving record: Even with The General, you’ll pay higher rates after an at-fault accident, a speeding ticket or a DUI violation.
- Credit score: Anyone with poor credit will likely pay more for auto insurance.
- Vehicle make, model and age: Older cars are usually cheaper to cover, though that’s not always the case for models that lack safety features. Vehicles that are common targets for theft usually receive higher premiums.
- Location: Motorists could pay more if they live in densely populated cities, states with extensive coverage requirements or areas with higher rates of vehicle theft or uninsured motorists.
How Cheap Is The General Car Insurance?
Through The General insurance reviews, you’ll find that high-risk drivers pay fairly steep prices from the company. Because these motorists come with potential red flags, they usually pay higher premiums to make it easier for auto insurance providers to maintain their bottom lines.
While The General’s high rates for risky drivers are normal for the industry, those with clean driving records can typically find better prices elsewhere.
The General Insurance Discounts
There’s not much information online about the company’s car insurance discounts, but The General insurance reviews mention some. It’s worth reaching out to the company to learn more about these potential savings opportunities:
|The General Insurance Discount||Discount Description|
|Good student discount||Offers savings to students with at least a B average in their classes|
|Defensive driver discount||Reduces costs for drivers who go through an approved driver training course|
|Multi-car discount||Saves money for those who insure multiple vehicles through The General|
|Safety features discount||Lowers prices for cars that have air bags and passive restraint systems|
|Homeowners discount||Saves money for those who own a house|
|Double deductible discount||Reduces rates if you agree to double your deductible for the first 45 days of your policy|
|Safe driver discount||Reduces costs for drivers who have had a clean driving record for the past three to five years|
|Previous insurance discount||Saves money for drivers who’ve had insurance with a different company in the past five years|
|Pay in-full discount||Reduces costs for drivers who pay their entire premiums up front|
*Discounts may vary by location.
The best way to discover your best rates is to compare car insurance quotes from providers. Then, you’ll be able to consider your potential annual or monthly payments along with the quality of service provided by each company.
General Auto Insurance, also known as The General, is a unique insurance company that specializes in providing coverage to high-risk drivers. With its easy-to-use online platform, low down payment options, and non-owner insurance coverage, The General has become a popular choice for drivers who have had difficulty obtaining coverage from other companies. While its customer satisfaction ratings have been mixed, The General Auto Insurance continues to offer a range of coverage options and unique features for high-risk drivers.